Monday, December 14, 2009

Pretty Shiny Things (That I Own)

Read an interesting article in yesterday's NY Times about a reporter who rented her holiday dresses.  Services like that are popping up all over, with everything from a clutch to couture being available for a finite time with a little outlay of cash.  The writer came to the conclusion that she did, indeed, like renting a different dress for each occasion, but she still didn't make a very compelling case for renting versus buying.  Personally, I'd rather add a festive piece or two each year to augment my existing wardrobe.

Which brings me to today's Conspicuous Consumption Christmas Item of the Day, a Belted Sequin Cardigan from Robert Rodriguez.  There's just something about sequins that screams "festive!"  And the dark green color is just right for Christmas.  I'd pair with pants, belt it over a dress, or use it with other monochromatic separates to spice up an after-work look.

Rodriguez' stuff don't come cheap, and even at 30% off this cardigan clocks in at $238.  But let's put it this way: that NY Times reporter got three outfits for about $75 each, or a total of $225.  For just a little more, I could have one versatile piece that doesn't have to go into a padded envelope at the end of the night.  I think I'd choose the latter...

2 comments:

Marilyn on December 14, 2009 at 11:41 AM said...

This cardigan is beautiful and you could look at it all year long just to savor the sparkles !! It makes one feel better each day you see it n the sunlight :) I doing think much of renting...
Go to your Goodwill store and get something cool for less !

J on December 19, 2009 at 5:58 PM said...

I'm sure it will make it to at least 50% off at Shopbop, knowing how things sell there (looks like they still have the full size range).

Post a Comment