Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Burnout

Sorry for being in absentia the last few days, dear readers. You see, I've been a bit under the weather. Between going for my first official training walk/jog last Thursday, the attendant shin splints thereafter, and a moderate case of heat exhaustion the past two days, your truly has certainly found better ways in the past to spend her Memorial Day Weekend. Alas, 'twas not to be this year. I shan't complain, though, seeing as how I do believe that my clothes are fitting a big looser and I am slowly saying goodbye to double-XL's and hello to just XL. Hoorah!


As I was marinating in the heat being given off by my own skin and sweat the last couple days (how's THAT for a compelling mental image?), I had time to reflect upon how far I've come over the past month. To wit: I've increased the amount of time I walk each day by at least fourfold, I've gotten my bike repaired and started riding further than the 5 blocks to and from the laundromat, I purchased a new pair of running shoes and actually jogged in them for a combined total of eight minutes.

And while this might now seem like much to some, for me it's a sign that I'm finally ready to make some lasting changes in my life and in a body that I barely recognize as my own some days. Tomorrow, back to hitting the pavement...

3 comments:

Marilyn on May 28, 2009 at 6:12 AM said...

"Cool Sign" :) Feeling a lobster's pain ? Hopefully it's a cloudy day for the marathon !!
Run and walk your way to a better day...

Anonymous said...

Wait till you have to start buying new clothes. It's possibly the greatest feeling you can have whilst spending your hard earned monies..

EmilyHaHa on May 28, 2009 at 1:16 PM said...

The good/bad part is that I never got rid of a lot of the smaller clothes -sheepish grin-

Post a Comment