Tuesday, October 6, 2009

NOT A Bucket List

Why NOT a bucket list? Well, first off, I don't plan on "kicking the bucket" any time soon. Second, that's a tired, overused phrase (as was, apparently, the plot of the movie by the same name) and I don't like cliches. Third, I'm not really into lists. I've never found them particularly useful for groceries, to-do's, top 10's, or any of the ilk.

But...I'm turning 30 in a week, and I think that this seminal birthday deserves at least a half-hearted attempt at setting some goals and aspirations. Note that I am not holding myself to said list, but merely using it as an inspiration for what the coming year might bring. For a far more organized and executed list, click here.

1. Spend less time online. You may think this one would be impossible for me, seeing as how it's my job and all. But doing so means I can...
2. Spend more time enjoying DC. I mean, duh! I live in one of the greatest cities in the world, as far as free sightseeing goes. Gotta get out more so that I might...
3. Actually RUN a 5k/10k, instead of just paying lip service to it and walking most of the way. Because only then will I...
4. Fit back into my old, designers clothes (see this for further evidence). You see, I just want to...
5. Project a more professional image at work. I've relied too long on leggings and a cardigan to get me through the day. But no more because I...
6. Need to start acting my age. By which I don't mean "old," but rather mature and pulled-together. Which leads me to want to...
7. Engage in some professional development beyond the same old boring webinars and conferences. I need to push myself to learn new and teach them to others. However I also...
8. Need to have more fun. Like, join a club, take a class where there aren't any grades, join the circus. On the other hand I...
9. Want to deepen friendships I already have. There are lots of great people in my life and I want to get to know them better. Still, though, there nothing like...
10. Being a compassionate pet owner and animal lover. I want to do more in this area. But mostly I...
11. Want to be happy. Not for anybody else or for any special reason. But just because I deserve it.

3 comments:

Valerie Donegan on October 6, 2009 at 6:50 PM said...

Em - just reading this gave me a much needed wake up call - want a workout buddy at work? We should chat - Valerie

Marilyn on October 6, 2009 at 7:12 PM said...

Yes...you do deserve it. And you can achieve it all !! But maybe not by the end of the week...

KT on October 7, 2009 at 11:49 AM said...

I'll help with the running part - let's do this: http://disneyworldsports.disney.go.com/dwws/en_US/events/eventDetail/detail?name=PrincessHalfMarathonDetailPage&bhcp=1

I'll be Belle.

Post a Comment