Monday, September 21, 2009

Why I'm Not Friends With Girls

Periodically, I like to declare publicly that I'm not one to strike up friendships with other chicks. Now that is of course not really true, seeing as how I have many gals with whom I enjoy close friendships. But the running joke is that chicks are too difficult and whiny and all emotional and fickle and, you know, just too girly for me to take the time to deal with all of their needs, let alone mine. Friendships are supposed to be enjoyable things, not one-sided conversations on how wretched, yet terribly important and utterly fascinating one's life is with regards to a shade of nail polish.

This even extends into the virtual world. Very seldom do I take the time to really truly follow another gal's blog. Yeah, sure, I'll check in periodically, or when I know they've written about something of interest, but there's this one fellow female blogger whose postings I read all. the. time.

Dunno why, because half of them are really crappy (trust me - she won't mind me saying that), but they're compelling nonetheless. None more so than today's diatribe on Why I'll Never Be Fat. If you look beyond the cursing and the obtuse pop culture references, you'll see why I like this particular posting so much. "Look! It's a woman who has a healthy body image and knows she wants to stay that way! And she's not going to punish herself or use extreme, dangerous, or chemically enhanced measures to maintain that attitude! She's happy that her body works well and she encourages others to challenge themselves physically!"

Just who does she think she is, anyway? A guy? So, Marissa, you're my new happy body attitude hero and I hope to take a li'l bit o' Zen away from your post today. And then pack it up with me when I hop on my bike the next time.

Oh, and if you're having trouble putting down that fast food today, dear readers, this might just make you think twice...


1 comments:

Marissa on September 21, 2009 at 9:19 AM said...

A lot of my posts, indeed, are crappy. :)

Thanks for the kind words though. I think it's taken me a long time to get to the attitude that I have today. And honestly, it's getting over the "I don't think I have the strength to do that" mentality. Which really is a constant process. It's a matter of recognizing that we ALL have the f*cking strength to do whatever the hell we want. Both physical and metaphorical.

Trust me, I'll be reading your blog, as well. And if I could figure out how to make a blogroll on Wordpress, yours would be on it. I can bike 40 miles, but not figure out simple technology...or can I! I WIlL DO IT!

Post a Comment