Saturday, January 23, 2010

Clover in the City

Talk about a throwback: I was having lunch with a local Area Neighborhood Commissioner the other day and politely nodding at lots of the usual local politics.  "Mmm-hmm...Yeah, exactly..."  I care - I do - but I wasn't really feeling a call to action in any of these sentiments.  Then he dropped this on me, "...and he's looking to do something with 4-H."



Get.  Out.

The "he" is another neighbor, who's also the county extension officer for UDC and former 4-Her himself.  Yours truly?  A ten-year 4-H participant.  I instantly volunteered to start a club in the neighborhood.

And just like that, I found a new project to occupy the time left open by the end of my part-time job.  No more selling expensive clothes to urbanites.  Instead, I'm going to be teaching project and life skills to 9-12 year old city kids.  Or at least that's my good intention.

This project is just getting off the ground, but if you or anyone you know might be interested in working with kids in the Bloomingdale, DC, neighborhood, and you have particular skills or project areas that they (and you) would enjoy, let me know.

In the meantime, check out the new Beta version of 4-H.org (I think they still have a few kinks to work out) to learn more.  Hope to see you at a meeting soon!

3 comments:

Sean Hennessey on January 26, 2010 at 1:56 PM said...

cool. i hope it goes well.

EmilyHaHa on January 26, 2010 at 2:02 PM said...

Thanks! If you ever want to teach the kids, let me know...

Sean Hennessey on January 26, 2010 at 2:31 PM said...

at some point, i'm sure i'll want to.

Post a Comment