Monday, May 4, 2009

Yeah, I Done Did It

I did a really smart/dumb thing today: I signed up to run a 10K in October. And not just any 10K, but the Marine Corps Marathon 10K. Even worse, my friend Triathlon Virgin has agreed to run it with me. And by "run," I mean "race." Yes, he's thrown down the gauntlet and challenged me to a race on this, my first ever attempt at sustained movement on a paved surface. What have I gotten myself into?! And yet...


Perhaps, just perhaps, I've gotten myself into one of the greatest adventures of my life. You see, going to the gym is fine and all, and I'm heading back tomorrow for a session called "Candlelight Stretch" (doesn't that sound fantastically relaxing?) and to start my walking program, but there's something about having such a grandiose goal that might just be the kick in the butt that I need to really commit myself to a healthier lifestyle. I mean, I've been challenged to a race! I might as well have been slapped with a white glove and been asked to duel with a single-barrel pistol (does such a gun exist? I might have made that up...) on the dusty main street at high noon. Safe dif.

As the saying goes, If you can walk, you can dance, if you can talk, you can sing. And I guess if you can walk, you can run, and if you can run, you can race...

2 comments:

Marilyn on May 5, 2009 at 5:23 AM said...

Run Forrest...I mean Emily...Run !!

Anonymous said...

I'm taking you town Em, down to Chinatown! hah hah!

Post a Comment